Get ready for a bloomin' good time at Keukenhof, the largest flower garden in the world! Nestled just a hop, skip, and a jump away from Amsterdam in the charming town of Lisse, Keukenhof is a bucket list destination that will make your heart skip a beat.
Spring is in the air in Europe, especially in the Amsterdam area. It's not just because winter is almost over and the weather is getting milder by the day. It's because you can almost smell the fresh flowers of the world's largest flower garden: Keukenhof. We have all the info you need to plan a trip to the biggest flower garden ever.
This amazing flower exposition will be open daily from 23 March 2023 to 14 May 2023 (also open on Sundays and public holidays)… And there are soooo many flowers to see at Keukenhof. More than 7 million flower bulbs were planted, covering 800 varieties. It's by far the most colourful attraction in the Amsterdam area. No make that the most colourful attraction in Holland. Keukenhof is a unique must-see in the Netherlands.
Each year more than 800,000 visitors from all over the world visit this amazing flower garden. Keukenhof simply has to be on your to-do list if you're travelling to Holland between March and May. It's easy to combine with a (long) weekend in cities like Amsterdam, The Hague or Rotterdam. Holland is a small country so it's easy to get around.
Planning your trip to Keukenhof: tickets & how to get there
Keukenhof is close to Amsterdam, The Hague, and Schiphol Airport. It's even so close to Schiphol airport that you can make it a day trip when you have a layover at Schiphol. So first make sure you have your travel to Schiphol Amsterdam Airport sorted.
How to get tickets
As Keukenhof is such a popular attraction, it's best to order your tickets online. Regular tickets, skip the line and tours are now available. Get your Keukenhof tickets early as you don't want to miss out. Enjoy the colours of Holland at this year's edition of the Keukenhof flower garden.
- Dates: 23 March 2023 – 14 May 2023
- Opening hours: from 8.00am to 7.30pm (7 days a week)
Getting to the Keukenhof flower show: public transport and self-drive
First things first, pack your bags and bring your sense of adventure with you. You're about to embark on a journey filled with colourful tulips, mouth-watering cheese, and scenic bike rides. You're on your way to an amazing country that has more to offer than just the Keukenhof flower garden. But more about that later, in another post about Holland, right now we'll purely focus on the amazing flowers at the Keukenhof and how to get there.
Once you arrive in Holland, you can take a bus, train, car or even ride a bike to the gardens.
- From Schiphol Airport: Keukenhof Express Bus, bus service 858 (35 minutes journey). Hop aboard the Keukenhof Express (Bus 858) that departs up to six times per hour and whisks you away to the flower paradise in just 30 minutes. Conveniently located at the exit of arrivals hall 1, the departure point is just a 5-minute stroll away. So sit back, relax, and enjoy the picturesque journey before reaching the main entrance of Keukenhof, where a breathtaking floral display awaits you.
- From Amsterdam City Centre: Embark on an adventure from Amsterdam city center to Keukenhof, starting with multiple bus options to Schiphol Airport. Catch the bus 397 from the city center at popular spots like Leidseplein, Concertgebouw, or Museumplein. Alternatively, take the bus 300 from Amsterdam Bijlmer or Amstelveen, or opt for bus 341 from Station Zuid to reach Schiphol Airport. Once at Schiphol, transfer seamlessly to the Keukenhof Express (Bus 858), departing up to six times per hour. The bus stop is located at the exit of arrivals hall 1, just a quick 5-minute walk away. Get comfortable for a 30-minute journey, and before you know it, you'll arrive at the spectacular Keukenhof gardens, bursting with stunning blooms.
- From Haarlem: Whether you're traveling on weekdays or weekends, the journey from Haarlem to Keukenhof promises to be a comfortable and convenient ride. If you're planning a trip to Keukenhof from Haarlem, here's what you need to know:
- On weekends and public holidays, hop on the Keukenhof Express (bus line 850) at Haarlem station. Running up to twice an hour, this bus will take you straight to the garden in just 40 minutes. The bus station is conveniently located on the centre side of Haarlem station.
- On weekdays, take Arriva bus line 50 from the same bus station at Haarlem station. Departing up to 4 times an hour, this bus will also take you to Keukenhof in just 40 minutes. Once you reach the Meer en Duin stop in Lisse, simply disembark and take a scenic 12-minute stroll to the main entrance.
- From Leiden: Bus from Leiden railway station: bus service 854 (25 minutes journey). Make your way to Leiden Centraal station and hop on the convenient Keukenhof Express (Bus 854) to reach the famous gardens. Running up to four times per hour, the bus journey takes only 30 minutes, so sit back and enjoy the ride. The bus station is conveniently located on the city center side of the railway station, making it easily accessible. Get ready to immerse yourself in the vibrant colors and fragrances of Keukenhof gardens.
- Get to Keukenhof by car (self-drive option): Hire a car via one of the many deals so you're more flexible and can visit other sights in Holland as well.
Getting a discount on Keukenhof tickets
When you visit the Keukenhof flower show as part of your Amsterdam city trip, you can use the Go City Amsterdam Pass to get a discount on museums and attraction like Keukenhof. You'll pay one fixed price for the pass and can visit heaps of attractions in 1 to 5 days. It'll be so much cheaper than buying single tickets for each and every museum or attraction. That's a nice discount on Keukenhof tickets. It's also the easiest way to get a discount, no need to search for promo codes.
If the Keukenhof flower garden is your only attraction you want to visit, buy your Keukenhof tickets online to get the best deal on single day tickets. Just make sure you add the Keukenhof flower garden to your Holland travel plans, you'll love the amazing colours. Keukenhof is a magical place.
Finding accommodation close to Keukenhof
Whether you're travelling to Holland just to visit Keukenhof or to see more of Amsterdam and other Dutch cities, staying close to the event is easy and it doesn't have to cost that much.
Have a look at these hotel, hostel and B&B deals in the area. It'll super easy to get to the biggest flower garden and you can see more of Dutch cities like Amsterdam.
Or browse through the hotels we already have reviewed. Especially the ones in Zaandam or Alkmaar as these cities are close to Amsterdam and it's easy to get to the Keukenhof by train.
Keukenhof is a must-see attraction and here's why
Picture this: over 7 million vibrant tulips, daffodils, and hyacinths bursting with colour as far as the eye can see. Keukenhof truly is a feast for the senses. And the best part? This magical garden is only open for a limited time in spring, from mid-March to mid-May, so you won't want to miss out on this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity!
But Keukenhof isn't just about flowers. It's a journey into the heart of Dutch culture and history, where you can learn about the country's rich horticultural heritage and the story of the tulip. Discover different varieties of tulips, from the classic reds and yellows to the exotic black ones, and see why these blooms have become a symbol of the Netherlands.
And the fun doesn't stop there! Keukenhof offers a whole host of activities for all ages, from boat rides to cycling tours and treasure hunts. Kids will love the playgrounds, while foodies will be in heaven with the tasty restaurants and souvenir shops. Plus, if you're a shutterbug, you'll be in paradise with endless photo ops against the stunning natural backdrop.
Keukenhof is a floral wonderland that will leave you feeling invigorated and inspired. Don't miss your chance to experience the magic and beauty of this Dutch gem. Book your tickets now or use the Go City Amsterdam Pass and get ready to create memories that will last a lifetime! Check out the photos below from our latest visit to the floral heaven that is called Keukenhof.
Sneak preview of Keukenhof [photos]
All photos below were taken by us during previous editions. It'll show you how much fun a visit to Keukenhof is. Even though the flower show will be different each year. Another reason why you should visit this amazing event not just once.