For most travellers, Zwolle is pretty much like going off the beaten path in The Netherlands. The city isn’t as big or popular as Amsterdam or Rotterdam but that is about to change. There is now an important reason why computer & game geeks will add Zwolle to their must-see travel list: Dutch Computer Museum.
If you are interested in spending the day among an amazing collection of computer history while playing oldskool game console games, computer games or arcade games then this is the place for you. All you need to do is travel to Zwolle, pay the entry fee and you are ready for some retro gaming fun.
All games and consoles can be played free of charge. No need to walk around with a pocket full of coins and deciding which game is worthy of receiving your coins. Play as much as you like for as long as you like… Well, until it’s closing time of course.
Collection of the Museum
You name it, they have it in their collection. The Atari ST range? It’s there. Commodore? Check, they’re all there. Classic Digital servers and mainframes? Yes. Philips Videopac? Computer Museum Zwolle has it in its collection. A lot of the game consoles are playable as well.
But it’s not just classic computers, game consoles or servers. They also have several pinball machines and lots of classic arcade cabinets displayed and ready to be played. All games are on free play so you can finally finish the game you never could finish in the 80s. Or you can show the younger generation how much fun it is to play these oldskool games. It'll bring back some memories.
How to get to the Computer Museum
Is it a Computer Museum or a Games Museum? A bit of both, you can see and experience the evolution of the computer (business, personal and games) industry but you can also play heaps of computer and arcade games. It’ll be one hell of an interactive experience.
Here’s all the info you need to play your trip to this awesome and entertaining museum in Zwolle.
- Official name: Bonami “Interactief SpelComputer Museum” aka Dutch Computer Museum
- Address: Ossenkamp 4 in Zwolle (Netherlands)
- Opening hours: 10 am – 5 pm (Tuesday – Sunday) + 6 pm – 10 pm (Friday & Saturday)
- Entrance fee: €15 (bring cash as foreign cards or credit cards aren’t accepted)
- Closest international airport(s): Amsterdam Schiphol Airport (126 km), Rotterdam Airport (151 km) or Dusseldorf (189 km). Check out flight deals to these airports.
- Car rental deals: hire a cheap car and drive to Zwolle
- Closest train station: Zwolle
- More info: official website of the museum (in Dutch)
Photos of Computer & Games Museum in Zwolle
There’s no need to keep writing about this amazing museum. The photos of my visit to the Computer & Games Museum in Zwolle will convince any computer or game geek to add it to his/her travel list.